This week, I was surprised by laekanzeakemp, a fellow writer and blogger, with the Sunshine Award! This award is for bloggers who “who positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere,” so I am deeply honored that she thought of me!
- Include the award’s logo in a post or on your Blog (or make one of your own *wink).
- List 10 things about yourself
- Nominate 10 Bloggers
- Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs, letting them know they were nominated.
- Link the person who nominated you.
I’m a person who is all for shortcuts, so I was even more tickled about this award when I saw that laekanzeakemp had put together a few questions for me to answer. So here we go:
- What is your first reading memory?
As an avid reader, there are many. But the one that I count as my favorite was in preschool when my teacher realized I knew how to read. She entrusted me with one of the preschool’s books, “Jack and the Beanstalk”, and I took it home and read it all weekend long.
- If you never had to work another day in your life how would you spend an average day?
I’d still be writing! But (and I assume I wouldn’t be working because I’d be filthy rich) it would be at my own private beach house with a fantastic view of the ocean.
- What’s your definition of success?
Creating a goal, working towards that goal, and seeing results because of the efforts put in. Sometimes success looks different than what was expected in the beginning, sometimes it’s even better. 🙂
- Why did you start blogging?
I’ve been blogging since before it’s been called a blog! I had an online journal over at DearDiary.org (an incredibly archaic blogsite) where I connected with a bunch of fantastic people who were also writing about their lives. I blogged about my marriage, my kids, my pregnancy…and then I blogged about my stillbirth, something that changed my whole entire world. It was a dark time in that blog, and I eventually abandoned it. But I really experienced the community that can be had in blogging through that blog.
- What’s your favorite thing about blogging?
I love having this special place that’s all mine, where I can write to my heart’s content about anything I want with no rules at all, and I can meet other people who happen to be on the same journey as me, or who open up my eyes to a different journey. Blogging allows for a larger sense of community that exists way beyond my tiny little neighborhood. When I blog, it’s almost like I’m writing a letter to a bunch of friends.
- What are five things you can’t live without?
My iPhone, my computer, music, Internet!, and my family
- What are five things you would prefer to live without?
My extra 10 pounds, my stress over the smallest things, my inability to just say “no” when it come to taking on more obligations that tie up my time, the pile of clothes that keeps appearing beside my bed (how did they get there, anyway?), and cold windy days.
- What’s your favorite thing about yourself?
I know it’s cliche, but it’s my ability to write. I used to be shy about writing, hiding everything I wrote. What a waste! I mean, it’s been my hugest talent, and I wasn’t even sharing it with the world! Now that I’ve come out of the writing closet, my world has totally opened up. It created so many opportunities for me, and now I get to spend every day doing what I love the most.
- What’s the secret to your happiness?
Being true to myself. When I stop comparing myself to others or living up to what I think other people’s ideals are…when I just live according to MY OWN ideals…I am the happiest.
- If you could change one thing about the world what would it be?
I would want there to be less busyness and more connection with others. I feel like a lot of people are so GO GO GO, wanting to be the biggest, brightest, fastest, most awesome, that they forget the people around them that need their care or support – myself included. I know in my life, I am so incredibly busy that some of my friendships have taken a backseat. And I feel awful about that. Guess change begins with me, right?
So there you have it, everything you ever wanted to know (and some you didn’t) about me!
For the blogs I’ve nominated, I’ve chosen a few of the blogs I read here on WordPress simply because they’re a joy to visit and read. Some are writers, and some are on an incredible journey and allowing us to take the ride with them. I encourage you to check them out and be inspired as well.
1. Michelle Proulx – a published author whose blog gives me tons of inspiration, and who really connects with her readers
2. Novel Conclusions – a gal who really has so much insight about writing and shares it with her readers
3. Smells Like Brownies – an oh so delicious blogger!
4. Waiting on a Word – this blogger was featured on Freshly Pressed, and it’s no wonder why. One of her latest blogs is about “porn” posting. It’s not what you think, and totally worth reading.
5. Lit & Scribbles with Jae – She’s a novelist (wrote her first one at 14!) and a totally witty writer.
6. The Honest Toddler – probably the funniest blog you’ll ever read, all in the voice of the toddler.
7. 101 Books – If you love reading books, this blogger will open your mind to a few bucket list reads you’ll want to dive into.
8. Catherine, Caffeinated – She’s another author, but she also has tons of insight into the world of self-publishing. She’s one of my go-tos when I’m struggling on what I’m supposed to be doing – which is almost daily!
9. Travels with Evan and Debbie – I actually know this couple in real life. They gave up their address for a life on the road, and are taking us on the journey through their blog. Tired of your job or every day life? Go over there and live vicariously through them!
10. Culture Monk – I not only enjoy this guy’s stories and photography, but his blog just has a good feel to it. I don’t know, something about the layout just makes him seem uber cool.
So, there you have it. If you’re looking for a great blog to read, check out the ones I’ve listed above. And if I’ve nominated you, I can’t wait to read a bit more about YOU! You can use the same questions I’ve answered above, or you can make up new questions to answer. Take care, friends!
6 thoughts on “The Sunshine Award”
Congrats on your award. It’s always an honor to be acknowledged by the blogging community. Cheers and continued success!
It was truly an honor to be nominated by one of the blogs I love reading. 🙂
Congrats and Thanks so much for the kind words!
Meant every word! 🙂
Wow, I am so flattered and honored to be included on your list! I will have to thoughtfully consider how to pay it forward! 🙂
Are you kidding? Your site is absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to see what you have to say about yourself!