As a writer, I’ve perfected the art of distractions. Whenever I hit a difficult scene, a place where more research is needed, or a good old-fashioned writer’s block, these are the 5 time sucks that temporarily relieve me of my pain and send me spiraling into the abyss of diversionary entertainment.
1. Facebook or YouTube videos. First I’m watching a cute puppy falling down stairs. Then another video starts without my prompting it, and it has more stupid animal tricks, so I’m hooked. Soon I’ve spent 30 or more minutes watching videos, and I’ve nothing to show for it.
2. Reading. Okay, I can’t totally classify this as a time suck because I believe reading is valuable. However, when I’m pushing aside housework, writing, family time and sleep in favor of a book, there might be a problem (with everyone else! Reading rules!).
3. TV. I rarely watch TV, but when I do, it’s HGTV marathons (as a Californian, I am constantly amazed at how much house you can get in the Midwest for pennies. That, and I think I have a crush on Chip and Joanna Gaines), the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Once Upon a Time. Total quality time suck television.
4. Pinterest. I actually use Pinterest to find cool henna designs to try out. But inevitably, I end up in a DIY vortex of pretty pins I’ll never do anything with, but might “someday.”
5. Checking email. This one’s the worst, especially since most of my email is from advertisers. And yet, if there’s a lull in my day, I’m back in my email, refreshing to see if anything new came in the last 5 minutes.
What time sucks are your kryptonite?